Title

Salve Regina: The Early Years [video]

Comments

It was the Goelet family's gift of Ochre Court to the Religious Sisters of Mercy in 1947 that established Salve Regina. The stately 50-room mansion was the entire college for the first few years of the University's existence. The original 58 students lived on the third floor, attended classes on the second, studied and dined on the first, and snacked and purchased books in the basement. The eight Sisters of Mercy who made up the faculty established their own modest living area in the servants' quarters.

Sisters Interviewed:

  • Sister Marie Eloise Tobin: appears at 00:28, 09:59, 19:31
  • Sister Mary Rose Agnes Cavanagh: appears at 00:58, 06:13, 15:25, 18:23
  • Sister Mary Joannes Griffin: appears at 02:10, 06:31, 10:40, 21:50
  • Sister Audrey Blake: appears at 02:29, 14:02, 16:16, 20:08
  • Sister Madeleine San Souci: appears at 03:03, 06:53, 11:14, 17:52, 22:57
  • Sister Norma Orme: appears at 05:14, 07:38, 15:59
  • Sister Mary Brenda Sullivan: appears at 05:39, 09:05, 14:20, 16:56, 20:42

Abstract

Recollections from the Sisters of Mercy who were part of the original administration and faculty of Salve Regina. Their commentary and photographs capture the spirit of the early years of Salve Regina.