In the summer of 1780, after the withdrawal of the British from Newport, a force of five regiments and support troops led by Jean-Baptiste-Donatien de Vimeur, Comte de Rochambeau, landed at the south end of Newport Harbor. Today, the statue of Rochambeau that stands at King Park, the site of the landing, is one of four extant in the world. Rochambeau was born in Vendome, Departement of Loir-et-Cher in central France on July 1, 1725. It is therefore appropriate that the first statue of the Count, designed by the deaf and mute Vendomois sculptor, Fernand Hamar, is to be found in the Place St. Martin of that city, on the banks of the Loir.
LaFrance, A. Curtis
"History of the Rochambeau Statue,"
Newport History: Vol. 68
, Article 3.
Available at: http://digitalcommons.salve.edu/newporthistory/vol68/iss237/3