The museum collections are stored and exhibited in four historic properties concentrated within a four-block area of Newport's colonial city. Three of those properties are owned by the Society: its headquarters at 82 Touro Street, including the Seventh Day Baptist Meeting House (built in 1730 and enlarged in 1905 and 1915); the Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House (built in the 1660s and restored by the Society in the 1920s); and the Great Friends Meeting House (built in 1699 with several subsequent additions, and restored in the late 1960s). The fourth property, the 1762 Brick Market designed by Peter Harrison, is owned by the City of Newport and maintained by the Historical Society as the Museum of Newport History, its principal exhibition space. Of the Society's 10,000 objects, the vast majority-over 95 percent- is in storage.
Youngken, M. Joan
"The Collections of the Newport Historical Society: Museum Collections,"
Newport History: Vol. 69
, Article 3.
Available at: http://digitalcommons.salve.edu/newporthistory/vol69/iss239/3