Tourists stream into shops and restaurants on Banister’s Wharf in Newport, purchasing products from Rhode Island and around the globe. When merchant John Banister (1707-1767) owned this wharf in the 1740s, he imported luxury apparel, tools, household items, and foods from many places. For nearly thirty years Banister’s ships traded goods from and to other American colonies, the West Indies, and Europe. The Banister Journal of September 1746 through December 1749, purchased by the Newport Historical Society in 2003, was first analyzed in detail in 2012.
Desrosiers, Marian Mathison
"Private Lives and Public Spaces: Newport Merchant John Banister and Colonial Consumers,"
Newport History: Vol. 83
, Article 2.
Available at: http://digitalcommons.salve.edu/newporthistory/vol83/iss270/2