From the first they called it "the Acropolis of Newport," and for good reason. Commissioned by Commodore Edwin D. Morgan, architect Charles McKim designed Beacon Rock on the plan of the ancient Athenian Stoa of Attalos and the Agora adjoining it. The resulting Ionic colonnades and the balanced, matching temple-like facades took over two years to complete. The mansion was ready for occupancy in 1891. Coincidentally, students from Oxford University reconstructed their own model of the Stoa and Agora, based on studies and excavations at the site. If the classical atmosphere prevails anywhere in Newport, surely it does at Beacon Rock.
Newport History: Vol. 56
, Article 2.
Available at: https://digitalcommons.salve.edu/newporthistory/vol56/iss189/2