When, in 1895, a boys' school was established at Newport by Oliver Whipple Huntington, Ph.D., and Leslie Green, M.A., they adopted the title of the seat of Bishop George Berkeley and called it Cloyne House School. It was to be a college preparatory school under Episcopal Church auspices, with an enrollment limited to fifty. The school flourished for twenty-two years. "Happy" seems a proper epithet for Cloyne. The time, the place, and the people - boys and teachers - may well be described by that word. The country was prosperous and untroubled, with no forebodings of a worldwide war. Newport and the Bay offered unspoiled beautiful and historically significant features.
MacNutt, J. Scott
"Happy School by the Sea,"
Newport History: Vol. 56
, Article 3.
Available at: https://digitalcommons.salve.edu/newporthistory/vol56/iss189/3