Arthur Leslie Green (1864-1949) is virtually unknown today to students of the Colonial Revival movement or to inhabitants of his adopted home, Newport, Rhode Island. However, at the peak of his career, between 1910 and 1930, he enjoyed a degree of national prominence as a leading collector of Windsor chairs and as a purveyor of colonial woodwork and furniture. Likewise, the Newport house that Green moved to Training Station Road in 1903 and embellished with architectural fragments from recently demolished and altered local houses drew immediate attention. Admittedly a colonial pastiche, it attracted many visitors who sought a glimpse of America's "quaint and genteel past." The Weaver-Franklin House, as he called it,' still stands on Training Station Road, as does Cranford Cottage, the adjacent house Green constructed in 1921 for year-round use.
Carpenter, John M.
"Pieces of the Past: Arthur Leslie Green and the Weaver-Franklin House,"
Newport History: Vol. 69
, Article 2.
Available at: https://digitalcommons.salve.edu/newporthistory/vol69/iss241/2