Construction of the Jamestown Bridge between Saunderstown in South County on mainland Rhode Island and Jamestown on Conanicut Island began in December of 1938. On 27 July 1940 – approximately nineteen months later – traffic began to flow across the bridge. Groundbreaking for the new Jamestown-Verrazzano Bridge took place on 9 September 1985 and the bridge was finally opened to traffic on 19 October 1992. The old Jamestown Bridge was closed and stood derelict for fourteen years. Preparation for demolition began in September of 2005. The major demolition events took place in 2006, and recycling and cleanup were completed by spring of 2007.
Madden, Sue; Enright, Rosemary; and Kierstead, Matt
"The Jamestown Bridge, 1940-2007,"
Newport History: Vol. 77
, Article 3.
Available at: https://digitalcommons.salve.edu/newporthistory/vol77/iss258/3