On Brenton’s Point opening onto Brenton’s Reef, a grand estate aptly named The Reef once stood on a breath-taking eighteen-acre site overlooking the mouth of Narragansett Bay. The Reef was the summerhouse of Theodore M. Davis (1837-1915), a copper magnate and lawyer who was a native of New York City. In 1882, the Davises commissioned the Boston architectural firm of Sturgis & Brigham to build their Newport summer retreat. The Queen Anne-style stone cottage – completed in 1885 and dubbed The Reef – housed Davis’s impressive collection of Egyptian treasures and Old Master painting.
Newport History: Vol. 77:
258, Article 4.
Available at: https://digitalcommons.salve.edu/newporthistory/vol77/iss258/4